Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Improving Working Memory

My earlier blogs were originally designed to show some parents how to help their 10 year old daughter who is experiencing difficulties with literacy. I chose to use a blog format to show them what they could do to help her and thought that the ideas might also benefit other children with similar issues.

So far I have posted 3 series of 10 blogs on; assisting reading, vocabulary, and reading fluency. My next series will focus on how to improve working memory. To help prepare for this series I ordered several books, which I will review before starting the series.

The first book is "Improving Working Memory: Supporting Student's Learning" by Tracy Packiam Alloway.  I have previously read some journal articles by this same author and I found them very informative and they have, to some degree shaped my own research.

The book arrived yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how clear and logical her ideas were.


The book contends that working memory can explain reading and math difficulties in children with disorders such as Dyslexia, ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, etc. Although these disorders are quite complex the writer was able to give a clear explanation regarding the role of working memory in the reading process and to give some practical remedial strategies to help them.

In terms of reading comprehension, poor comprehenders cannot be lumped together but have unique needs. The book shows how groups of readers can differ from one another and how their particular needs can be met.

I would highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment